NY Health Access About Us   |   Contact Us Empire Justice Center Legal Aid Society NYLAG WNYLC
Search:     Advanced search

Where to Apply for Medicaid and Medicaid Home Care in New York City

Views: 30072
Posted: 20 Jul, 2009
by Valerie Bogart (New York Legal Assistance Group)
Updated: 12 Nov, 2014
by Valerie Bogart (New York Legal Assistance Group)

New York City's Medicaid program is run by the Human Resources Administration (HRA)  Medical Insurance and Community Services Administration (MICSA).    Changes in how people apply for and receive Medicaid personal care services are occurring in September 2012.

A.   There are two networks of offices to apply for Medicaid in the community:

         (1)   Community Medicaid offices -  process applications for Medicaid, Medicaid with a "spend-down," the Medicaid Buy-In for People with DisabilitiesMedicare Savings Program,  Family Health Plus and Child Health Plus.  

          (2)  CASA offices (Home Care Services Program) -- Beginning 9/14/2012, these offices will no longer accept and process M11qs to approve  home attendant (personal care) services for most adults age 21+ who also have Medicare.  Personal care services for most adults age 21+ who have Medicare must now be obtained through Managed Long Term Care Plans.  There are some exceptions.  See this article for the new procedures for applying for Medicaid home care services. 

See more info at Applying for Medicaid Personal Care Services in New York City - BIG CHANGES SEPTEMBER 2012

  1. File new Medicaid applications for adults age 21+ who also have Medicare and who will be seeking Medicaid Managed Long Term Care services is:

HRA--HCSP Central Medicaid Unit 

785 Atlantic Avenue, 7th Floor

Brooklyn, NY 11238                              T: 929-221-0849

Please see NYC Medicaid Alert dated January 3, 2013 explaining the relocation of the Central Medicaid Unit and other home care services programs within HRA.

2.           File Medicaid applications and M11q forms, for those EXCLUDED from Managed Long Term Care, including those who need only Housekeeping services, or who are in the Nursing Home Transition, OPWDD or TBI Waivers, or those who have Medicaid only and do NOT have Medicare, or those under age 21 - file at:

NYC HRA Home Care Services Program
          109 East 16th Street, 5th Floor,
          New York, NY 10003                                TEL 212-824-0706   FAX 212-896-8814 

B.       Alternate ways of applying for Medicaid, Family Health Plus or Child Health Plus -- 

  • You can apply through a "Facilitated Enroller," a community organization that has been authorized to accept and file applications.   These offices do NOT handle any Medicaid spend-down cases, supplemental needs trusts, or applications for home attendant/ personal care. 

  • Hospitals often apply for Medicaid for people admitted for inpatient care.  They apply directly to the Hospital Eligibility Unit at the main administrative offices at  785 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn NY

  • Nursing Home Medicaid -- Since 2006 changes in the law, you may only apply for Medicaid nursing home coverage once you have been admitted to a nursing home.   These applications are filed at the Nursing Home Eligiblity Department at the main office at  785 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn NY.

C.      Other Medicaid (MICSA) contacts -- Contacts at the main MICSA administrative offices are in these lists -- Full list  and Directors/Unit list.  (Dec. 2013)  If you have corrections, please notify us by e-mail.     Also see this news article about the Medicaid headquarters' May 2013 move to Brooklyn.

D.      Other pathways to Medicaid --

  •           Job Centers - People applying for or receiving cash assistance through the state Safety Net program or Temporary Aid to Needy Families Program may also receive Medicaid and Food Stamps by applying at these centers.

  •           SSI --  Anyone receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, even if only $1 in benefits, automatically receives Medicaid without having to separately apply for Medicaid. 

This article was authored by the Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program of New York Legal Assistance Group.


Attached files
file MICSA Directory (08-06-13).pdf (3.07 mb)
file Medicaid phone list.pdf (224 kb)
file MICSA Contact List 12-2013.pdf (50 kb)

Also read
document Medicaid Personal Care or Home Attendant Services
document CASA Contact List - NYC
document Managed Long Term Care
document Elimination of Face to Face Interview for Medicaid and Family Health Plus applicants
document New Application Form (2010) Used for Medicaid, Child Health Plus and Family Health Plus in New York State
document KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: Fact Sheet Explaining Basic Rules on NYS Financial Medicaid Eligibility for People who are Disabled, Aged 65+, or Blind
document Delays in Processing of Medicaid Applications - What are Your Rights and Lawsuits Challenging Delays
document NYS Directives on Medicaid changes under the Affordable Care Act
document KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: Managed Long Term Care - Fact Sheets and Training Announcements

Also listed in
folder Medicaid -> Home Care
folder Medicaid -> Applying For and Keeping Medicaid

Prev   Next
Medicaid in 2014: Understanding MAGI & the Marketplace     Access to Health Care for People with Disabilities

This site provides general information only. This is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer. In addition, your use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. To contact a lawyer, visit http://lawhelpny.org. We make every effort to keep these materials and links up-to-date and in accordance with New York City, New York state and federal law. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy of this information. To report a dead link or other website-related problem, please e-mail us.